A mentee is a person who chooses to expand their knowledge and competencies to make the most of their CSUF college experience. Mentees collaborate with a peer mentor by maintaining regular contact and connecting via zoom or another virtual platform at least twice per month to work on mutually identified goals.
MENTEE BENEFITS include:
- Learning how to navigate your degree program and understand future steps
- Decreasing your stress level
- Gaining strategies to achieve your academic and professional goals
- Having someone who cares for your success as a student
- Acessing free campus resources
- Invitation to HHD Dean’s networking event and recognition certificate
WHO CAN JOIN AS A MENTEE?
Students who are declared undergraduate majors in the five College of Health and Human Development:
- Child and Adolescent Studies
- Health Science/Public Health
- Human Services
- School of Nursing
We extend a special welcome to first generation college students and those who have experienced academic barriers of any kind.
WHEN CAN MENTEES JOIN?
- Join now to express your interest, get on our e-mail list, and get started
- Select your mentor one week prior to classes starting
- Or join any time during the semester if space is available
HOW CAN I JOIN AS A MENTEE?
Step 1: Click on the button "Sign Up Here" on the top of this webpage and sign up using your CSUF portal username and password.
Step 2: You will be asked if you are willing to participate in our research. If you will agree to the official consent form, you can complete confidential surveys to help our program and other students.
Step 3: Review mentor information, availability, and introductory video clips and select your top three mentor choices. Mentors are updating their information currently, so you can check back later to see more. The week prior to classes starting you may select your top three mentors.
Step 4: During the beginning of the semester you will be assigned and contacted by your mentor. You may also contact your mentor first if you would like!
A mentor is a guide, confidant, or facilitator who creates a supportive climate for learning and growth. Mentors are eager to give back to their fellow students in their majors by sharing their own knowledge and experiences.
MENTOR BENEFITS include:
- Standing out as a student leader
- Earning course credit for mentorship
- Interacting closely with faculty member(s) and mentor peers in a small course
- Gaining mentorship skills while helping fellow students in your major
- Learning more about college life, resources on campus, and managing challenges
- Receiving a HHD Dean certificate of participation
- Opportunity keep earning units and serve again for more than one semester for spring advanced mentorship
WHO CAN JOIN AS A MENTOR?
- Students who are established in their majors and in good academic standing (3.00 or higher) are encouraged to apply.
HOW CAN YOU APPLY?
- Click the button at the top of this website to learn more and apply.
- If you have questions, E-mail or call the program coordinator or faculty mentor coach in your major.
- Once accepted, enroll and attend the weekly mentorship class to deepen mentorship experiences and earn units.
- Mentors post video clips, profiles, and available meeting times for mentees online. The mentors indicate on their schedule if they are available virtually via technology OR in person on campus
- Enrolled mentees can access mentor videos and mentor’s schedules by logging on to the secure website. Mentees can begin to request their top three mentors during the first weeks of the semester
- Once mentors are requested, mentor-mentee matches will be automatic via the website
- Mentors and mentees may begin meeting each week (virtually or in-person on campus) after the first week of the semester or may establish electronic contact prior to the start of the semester if both students are available
- Mentor and Mentee aim to have a meeting weekly or at least twice a month in order to enjoy all the benefits of mentorship.
MENTEES AND MENTORS ARE PART OF A BIGGER TEAM FOR STUDENT SUCCESS IN THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT:
- Invitations to a special members-only event to network with students, faculty, & Deans
- Certificate of participation for resumes
- Option to complete confidential on-line surveys to help other students
MENTEES can see available MENTOR information & sign up at the top of this page.